<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Saturday, November 09, 2002

Talkin' Trash

As a rule, I don't litter. Trash along the street can make a city look downright ugly.

When I was in Montreal, Canada, the one thing that really struck me was how clean the streets were. There were no pop bottles, empty cigarette packs, candy wrappers (and so forth) lying around everywhere.

Baltimore is so trashy. Before you blame the citizens of this fair city, let me tell you what happened to me just yesterday. I was walking past the One Stop Shop on Howard street and I decided to pop in there to get a Starbucks Vanilla Frappaccino, and I'm just walking downtown drinking it and when I'm done I look for a trash can to throw the empty bottle in. No can. So I decide to carry it along until I came to a trash can. I carried this bottle around for eight blocks until I found a can, which was almost overflowing with garbage. No trash can in eight blocks! It's a shame. Anyone else would have left that bottle by the curb or sat it on a newspaper machine or something. I was tempted to do the same thing myself.

There once was a billboard at the corner of Charles and Pratt streets that said "Did you make Baltimore dirty today?" Well, with the lack of garbage recepticles--how can we help it?
(Baltimore makes me dirty every single day--but that's another story entirely.)