<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Friday, May 23, 2003

Stripped

Well, yesterday started out OK.
It all totally fell apart after I got to work, however.
It only takes a minute for things to Totally Turn Around, as I was about to discover.
    Here's the story:
As soon as I walked through the door I was told Mr. C. (the General Manager) wanted to see me in his office.

"I wonder what this is about?" I thought.
I wasn't worried, just curious.

So I knocked and walked in and Mr. C. is at his desk in the "power position", leaning back, feet propped up, hands clasped behind his head.

"Hey, Mr. C. What's up?"

"Jimmy, I hear you're not happy here and you're looking for another job." he says.
I guess I shouldn't have been surprised it had gotten back to him. I had only told a few people, but gossip spreads like wildfire at any restaraunt, especially ours.
But before I could reply he continued.

"So, for the remainder of your time here I'm taking away your position of Crew Leader. From now on you'll just be a Server with no other responsibilities."

I was speechless! I literally had no words. He didn't even bother to ask why I was unhappy, or even try to see if there was anything that could be done to rectify the situation!

"What?!?!" I finally managed to say. "Haven't I been doing a good job? I come in early, off the clock I might add, to make sure everything is OK. I do everything expected of me: I train new servers, assign side work, assign closing duties, run breaks, check out the dining room at the end of the night. Anything asked of me I do and without any fuss! I was Employee of the Month twice for Christ's sake! Have you had any problems with my performance? Why are you doing this?!"

He completely sidestepped my questions and replied:
"Well, you're not happy here, you as much as admitted that. Maybe being a Crew Leader is what's causing your unhappiness. Regardless, I don't want someone who isn't happy here in a leadership position. That's my decision."

So what could I do?
I took off my badge and Crew Leader pin and placed them on his desk.

"Great! Less work for me!" I said as I exited.

I was being flip, but that was just a defense mechanism.
Inside I was hurt and upset. It was so unfair!

My crew, God bless 'em, were on my side totally. I half-expected them to break into a chorus of "Ding-Dong, the Witch is Dead!" when they got the news, but they were almost as upset as I was! Kind of surprising, since I had been so hard on them in the past.
But they maintained--every one of them--that it was totally unfair and that Mr. C. was a big asshole. It almost brought a tear to my eye.

Part of me is thinking about taking this to the Corporate Office, or talking with the Regional Director about it, because it really was unfair.
Another part is saying forget it, I won't be there that much longer so why bother?

I don't know what I'm going to do about it yet. The idea of taking this lying down leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

On a lighter note: I'm off tonight and I'm defin'ly going out tonight! I think I deserve it, don't you?
I might possibly be going to The Allegro, but you never know.