<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Monday, September 22, 2003

Identity Crisis

OK, I got up early to go to the MVA Express downtown to get a new ID.
When I got to the Metro station, the incredibly rude woman behind the information desk informed me the they no longer have Expresses, and I had to go out to the county.

*groan*
I hate the county.
I don't leave the Baltimore City limits unless I absolutely have to.
Unfortunately, I had to.

Alrighty, then!
The closest location of the MVA is in Essex, so I take the 23 bus and an eternity (or 45 minutes) later, I'm there.
The line at the MVA was snaking all the way out the door. When I finally get to the front of the line, I give the woman all of my documents: my birth certificate, 2 proofs of address, a vial of blood, a sample of urine, and a note from my Mom (just kidding about the last three, but they might as well have!) and I was given a number (a-200) and told to wait once again for my number to appear on the screen they have there.
They were at number a-51 when I sat down, and they didn't get to a-200 for an hour and forty minutes!
After all that I still didn't get my ID right then. It turns out they have to mail it to you, which takes 7 to 14 business days!

Not having ID is driving me crazy! I feel like I don't exist. Like I'm an illegal alien or something!
I can't go to any bars or clubs which might card me. I can't go see a R-Rated movie because all the theater's here card you. I even have to worry about being carded for cigarettes, which is downright ridiculous!

I'm not going to have any problem job-wise, though. They gave me a letter which states that a card with my name on it is coming soon, and the woman told me that Maryland law states that they can't refuse to hire me as long as I show my new employer the card as soon as it comes in the mail.
Whew! Was that a load off my mind!

I need a stiff drink after going through all of that!

OK, stuff that's in store:
Tomorrow is my last day at the restaurant I'm at now.
Wednesday I do my paperwork at the new place,
and Thursday is my first day!

I'm so excited!