<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Monday, October 13, 2003

A Five Minute Story

Do I Know You?

I got this strange message yesterday on my Infopad.
I don't get too many messages on there, really, so when the indicator beeped I was kind of surprised.

Meet me at Louie's.
12PM.
J.
It was Jules, of course. Though why he messaged me instead of phoning was kind of a mystery.
Still, it wasn't unusual to meet at Louie's, a local tavern located excactly between our workplaces, for a synthahol cocktail or two around luchtime.
I messaged back "OK".

I got there right on time and went directly to the table in the back where we normally sat, and ordered a drink from the waiter who appeared at my side almost instantly.
A drink appeared a few moments later and I was toying with it and I was kind of daydreamimg and wondering what was keeping Jules when she walked in.
She was tall, had a nice figure, and long chestnut brown hair.
Pretty, I thought.
There was also something strangely familiar about her.
She didn't head to the bar as I suspected she would, but walked diectly toward me.

"Hello, Troy. I'm sure this is kind of a surprise, but I felt like I needed a Change."

Stunned. That's the only word to describe what was going through my head.
This was Jules! He had gotten a Change!
Changing was common in this day and age, but it still takes some getting used to. My own mother Changed when I was sixteen and I had to call her "Dad". That was strange, because, like most people, I never knew who my real dad was.

"Jules? That's you, isn't it?" I managed to say.

"I'm going by Julia now, but yes, it's me."

She smiled a warm smile, that lit up her face.
It was Jules' smile, yet altered slighly. And her face was Jules' face, but rendered more feminine. She was beautiful.
Had Jules looked like this as a male and I was just too blind to see it?

Julia sat down and ordered a devil's nightlight from the waiter who had appeared once again, like magic.

"That what Jules always orders." I said offhandedly, still amazed I could say anything.

She looked up at me with these big blue eyes and brushed a stray hair from her face.

"Troy," she said while sipping her drink, "I'm still me in every way that counts. All the things you could do and say with Jules, you can with me. I'm the same person I always was."

But she wasn't.
Not really.