<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Up From The Ashes

I mentioned previously that The Allegro club closed a couple of months ago.
I was sad, 'cause it was one of my favorite places to hang. I had many good times there.
However, up from the ashes of the old Allegro emerged Club Phoenix. I went there last night to check it out.

The Allego was kind of drab and dingy, the walls painted black with industrial looking girders on the ceiling, mirrors with the silver coming off, the bathroom always had one urinal broken, and the lighting on the dance floor was state of the art back in Nineteen Eighty-something-or-other.
I was nostalgic for a place like that?
Actually, yes.
It had it's own charm. It wasn't trying to be anything other than what it was: a watering-hole for homos.

The only thing that Club Phoenix has in common with The Allegro is that they occupied the same spot. The bar stools and mirrors are all new, the floors retiled and the walls paneled elegantly, and the lighting is better. You can actually see who you're talking to. (That may be a plus or minus depending on who you're talking to!)

It was Karaoke Night, hoted by the fabulous Shawnna Alexander. As soon as I walk in I spot my friend Paul (AKA the one and only Lulu La Diva) and chatted with him for a little bit.
I saw some other people I knew.
After two drinks I was sufficiently liquored up to sing, and sing I did, belting out Love Potion #9.
I wasn't fabulous, but I did a half-decent job. People didn't run from the club screaming, which is always a good sign.

It was fun, and I eagerly anticipate going back there to shake my bon-bons sometime soon.