<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Pride And Prejudice

There's this new girl that just started as a server at my restaurant, and right from day one I was hearing stories about she doesn't like black people, she doesn't like gay people.
Someone told me they heard her refer to a black family as *n-words*. (You know the word I mean.)
So after hearing that, I was having absolutely nothing to do with her.
Neither was the rest of the staff.

Years ago, I would have tried to convince her that prejudice is wrong, and her way of thinking was faulty, etc.
But after wasting my breath over and over through the years I had previously come to the realization that (prepare yourself for some real wisdom here) prejudiced people aren't rational.
There's no reasoning with them. Telling them that race doesn't matter, that people are basically the same, that human beings are all one race, or whatever arguement you can think of, does no good at all.
If they were thinking rationally they wouldn't be prejudiced in the first place.

Please allow me to digress for just a moment to say that I loathe the n-word. It's one of the most horribe and disgusting words in the history of language. I will never use it, and I hate hearing it. I could hardly bear to watch the movie Mississippi Burning because it was n-word this and n-word that.
And it troubles me a little that the black community uses this word so freely. Yes, I know they replaced the "er" at the end with an "a", and that it has a different connotation then when white people use it, the word empowers the black race, etc., etc., etc. I've heard it all before.
It just doesn't make sense to me.
It would be like me walking around saying "faggot, faggot, faggot" all the time.

Anyway, back to the story.

So nobody's talking to this chick and somehow she gets wind of the reason why so she goes around telling everyone she "would never say anything like that", her uncle is gay and she loves her uncle, and "my best friend is black".
(Why do people always say that?)

Anyway, since I, myself didn't actually hear her say those things, and it was one of those "someone said someone heard her say it" kind of deals, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.
For now.

But I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.