<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Monday, June 21, 2004

Gayed Out

Well, Gay Pride weekend is over and I'm both happy and sad to see it go.
Sad because who wants a party to stop?
Happy because after awhile you get tired of partying.

I'm not going to list all the people I saw because that would take too much time and and I would foret half of them and it's too much of a bother.
Suffice it to say that (almost) everyone I've ever met, tricked with, dated, was/am friends with, or in any way had any kind of "relationship" with (however you want to define it) was there.
Here are some of the highlights.

    Saturday - The Parade and Block Party
The day started in the afternoon with my friends Star and Nikki meeting over my house for cocktails.
You can't go to the Big Gay Day without a little glow.
After knocking back a few we were sufficiently buffered enough so we headed to the Parade.
We arrived around 4:30 and by the time the parade began (a little after 5) I had already greeted and hugged at least a half-dozen people and said "Hello" to at least a dozen others.
It was just a small sample of what was to come.

I love a parade, but if you've seen one gay parade you've pretty much seen them all.
Drag queens wearing tiaras riding on floats and waving like Miss America, hot shirtless boys in spandex short-shorts, big bear-y men on Harleys wearing leather chaps and harnesses.
You get the picture.

After the parade was over we popped into The Spike, the Levi/leather bar above Grand Central because the girls needed to use the bathroom. Mercifully, there were very few people in there, there was no line for the bathroom, and the tender made us good drinks in little plastic cups that we could take outside if we wanted to.
The Spike had a balcony and we were able to get out of the crowd and watch the people mill about below. We had only been there a few hours and we were having alot of fun, but already the crowds of people were getting to us.

The rest of the time there was spent standing in lines for drinks or various food items, looking for a bathroom, or greeting and talking with various people.

After awhile I wasn't even looking at people trying to recognize them. They were just people. If they knew me, they could come over and talk to me, but I wasn't worrying about it.

At 9:30 PM Crystal Waters took the stage and blew everyone away.
She was amazing and she had the crowd in a frenzy.
She performed her hits "Makin' Happy", "100% Pure Love" and "Gypsy Woman".
Picture hundreds of people singing the bridge of Gypsy Woman ("La da de, la de da!").
She was fabulous.
By the time she left the stage my throat was sore and I was nearly hoarse.

The next step? More cocktails!
Every bar and club in the area was jam packed full of people. Door to door, hall to hall, wall to wall. Getting a drink meant forcing your way through the crowd and up to the bar and shouting your drink order to an harried and overworked bartender.

By the end of the day I was more than a little tipsy and I was happy, but I was also exhausted.
I nearly went to bed fully clothed, I was that tired.

    Sunday - The Festival
Sunday I slept in 'til 12.
I didn't have a headache when I woke up, but I felt terrible.
The festival started at 1PM at Druid Hill Park, but I wasn't in any big hurry.
I took my good old time getting ready and I got there around 3PM or so.
The weather was perfect. Sunny, but not hot with a mild breeze blowing.

After the Block Party the night before, the festival itself was anti-climatic. More of the same, but with less bacchanalia.
This was, after all, a place people bring their children.

I wandered around looking at all the vendors and their wares, got a Big Gay Bag fill of freebies (pens, travel mugs, HRC stickers, pamphlets).
I saw a few people I knew and chatted briefly.
It was a pleasant day.
I had one Heineken and that was more than enough.

At 5PM I realized I was tired and I was sufficiently "gayed out" and over it all.
It was time to go home.