<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Make Your Bed, Then Lie In It

I stopped at the Dollar Store for dish liquid and a few other items and I noticed their latest acquisition, a big barrel of DVD's for one dollar each.

Being that they're only a buck, you just know the quality of movies these were.
They had such classics as Lassie Come Home, The Adventures of Benjie, and movies starring Sandra Bullock from the 80's that I'd never heard of before.
Real quality stuff, right?

Still, I look through them anyway, partially because I'm a glutton for punishment, but also because You Never Know.
There might have been a copy of Fantastic Planet hidden in there somewhere.

No such luck on that, but there was something called Amos Poe's Unmade Beds.
And when I looked at the cover I saw Debbie Harry was in it!
It was the only one in the bin, so I snatched it up.

I watched it last night and, let me just tell you, folks-- it wasn't really that good.

Unmade Beds is the story of Rico, a photographer with a Napoleon complex, who believes that "the camera is mightier than the gun, and film more rare than bullets".
Rico seems to spend most of his time lying around, smoking cigarettes, walking around New York in a striped shirt, scarf and sunglasses taking pictures of things, hanging out in cafes and spouting inane dialog.

Meanwhile, we watch all this unfold through grainy film, extreme close-ups of just mouths or ears, and through bizarre camera angles.

Debbie Harry is, indeed, in this movie.
Her part takes up maybe five minutes of film, and for that she should thank her lucky stars.
Compared to the rest of the awful acting, Debbie does an adequate job.

As for the plot . . .
There was a plot to this movie?
I looked for one, but I couldn't seem to find it.
If anyone can tell me what the heck this movie was about, drop me a line -- I'd love to hear it.

I know this was supposed to be an "independent" film, and that they are sometimes unconventional, but Unmade Beds makes the early John Waters movies (Eat Your Makeup, Hag In A Black Leather Jacket, Multiple Maniacs) look like Stephen Spielberg.

It's lucky I only paid a dollar for this movie, otherwise I'd be pissed.