<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Sunday, July 11, 2004

And The Beat Goes On . . .

Last night I waited on Debbie who was my landlady from over six years ago when I had a rockin' "bachelor pad" in Mt. Vernon.
It was kind of a surprise when the hostess sat her down at a table in my section. I hadn't thought about her in years. It brought back a lot of memories.
I lived at 4 E. Eager St. right next to Central Station (which is called Grand Central now) and right across the street from The Hippo. I was out at the clubs almost every night back then.

Those were the days, my friend. I thought they'd never end.

It was a "studio" apartment and the rent was a measly $200 a month. It was one nice-sized room with a bathroom and a small kitchen. I had a futon that could transform into a bed in about two minutes or less. It was perfect for me. I didn't need that much room.
When I met G. and he moved in, suddenly the apartment was way too small for the both of us. After four months of cramped living, we moved into a one-bedroom apartment out in the county.
I'd lived several places before, and had several apartments since, but that apartment will always be one of the most favorite places I've ever lived.

    "Are you still with that guy you moved out with?" she asked me.
    "Yup!" I replied, "It's five years last April."
    "Congratulations! That's fabulous!"
Debbie was a great person to rent from. She let the rent slide for almost three months when I was going through a rough patch and I was between jobs. How can you say anything bad about someone who would do that? Any other landlord and you'd be out in the street two weeks after the rent was due.
    "Well, I still manage a few properties," she said right before she left, "If you ever need an apartment, just call me up. You were one of my very best tenants!"
And that is a perfect example why you should never, ever burn your bridges.

The restaurant was slow last night, but I had fun anyway.
You know those Chili's commercials where all the restaurant workers are singing and tapping out rhythms on the counters with kitchen utensils and having a really good time while they're working?
Sometimes that actually does happen.
At one point last night we were having a little dance party in the Banquet Room. Everyone was singing and dancing. It was like an episode of Fame.
Having fun while I'm working isn't an option for me -- it's a necessity.