<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Friday, August 20, 2004

Bid Time Return!

I spent a great night last night curling up on the couch with the husband and watching The Butterfly Effect, starring the hunkalicious Ashton Kutcher.
Good movie. Kind of disturbing in some sections, but otherwise very well done.

I have always enjoyed Time Travel stories. Especially when they get the science right.
The most important thing about Time Travel movies is this: You can't disturb the flow of cause and effect.
Situation X happens which makes Situation Y occur.
Subtact Situation X from the equation and something else will happen. Maybe something good, maybe something bad.

Which makes me think . . .

    What if I could change something in my past. Would I? And what would happen?
It's my opinion that anything that makes you think -- even if it's about something impossible (or at least very, very improbable)-- is a Good Thing.

I thought about it at great length, and eventually I came to the conclusion that, although I could save myself from alot of painful memories, everything I've been though has served two very important fucntions:

  • I've learned something from my experiences.
    I've gotten stronger.
    I'm less likely to make the same stupid mistakes again. If I didn't go through them then, I would most likely eventually end up going through them anyway later in another form, or in another time or place.
    And . . .

  • Everything I've gone through has led me where I am today. And I like where I am today. There were times in the past when I really couldn't say that.
    You change the past, then you change the present and I like the present just the way it is, thank you very much.
BTW, if you like time travel stories, a really excellent one to read is
The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold.