<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Thursday, October 07, 2004

You And Me And Everything

I was raised as a Southern Baptist and was (almost literally) dragged to Sunday School and church every Sunday morning and for services Sunday evening, and sometimes evening services on Wednesdays, too.
I learned all the Bible verses and bible stories (Jonah and the Whale, Noah and the Ark, the Tower of Babel, etc.) like a good little boy, but it was very hard to justify the things I was told.
I was taught, paradoxically, that God loves all people, but that those who were sinners were going to spend eternity in Hell; We are all God's children, but homosexuals are an "abomination" to Him;
Is it any wonder I would later reject the teachings of the Christian church?
I was created, only to go to Hell?


Thus began my search for The Truth.

I started studying any religions I could find, looking for something I could believe in.
I read the Bhagavad-Gita, the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu, I read parts of the Koran (translated of course) -- I've even read the Book of Mormon.
I've studied the mythologies of the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians.
But through it all, nothing jumped out at me and said "This is it! I've found the Answer at last! This is how everything is!"
(I'm skeptical by nature, anyway. If God Himself were to appear in all His glory, I would be the one asking Him "How do I know you're really God?")
Faith alone just doesn't work for me -- I need proof.

Eventually, after searching in vain, I came to the conclusion that there was no God.
God was just something someone invented a long time ago to keep people in line and to make them less afraid of dying.

Then, after some time passed, I changed my mind again.

This is what I came to believe:
There is a God / Supreme Being. He exists. He is in you, He is in me, He is in everything.
He created the universe out of his own Being -- his infinite ethereal substance turned into physical matter. He IS the universe -- and everything in it.
God is the divine spark that exists in everything that is alive. Your "soul" is a small fragment of his infinite Self.
We (you and me, and everything that walks, creeps, crawls, flies, lives, or grows) are God, we just don't know it.
When our bodies die (as they eventually must) our souls (memories, experiences, and life essences) simply join with with Him, and through us God experiences life.
He savors our pleasures, endures our pains, He loves and hates, laughs and cries.
How could he not?
You and I and all of us are God.

(This post inspired by his, although I think he says it better.)