<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Friday, December 17, 2004

I Would Reccomend This To Anyone

Last night I watched Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life.
I laughed; I cried; It became a part of me -- again.

I missed seeing it last year, and I was sorely dissapointed because it's one of my very favorite holiday movies.
I try to watch it every year, and --guess what?-- I never get tired of it!

If you've never seen it, I suggest you run out to your local video emporium and rent it, buy it, steal it, or otherwise find some way to view it.
It will uplift your soul.
Trust and believe. (Would I steer you wrong?)

The story, for those not familiar with it, is this:
Poor George Baily, dissatisfied with his life and feeling like a big failure at virtually everything, is ready to end it all and is just about to hurl himself off a bridge on a snowy Christmas Eve night, convinced he has nothing worth living for. A fledgling Angel, Clarence, shows him the true meaning of his life.
That's all you really need to know.

Everybody who knows me knows that I cried like a big ol' blubberin' baby at the end. No big surprise there.
This movie touches me very deeply every time I see it. Not just because of the story, but because of the subtext behind the story.
That subtext can be summed up as follows:

Your life has meaning.
There is a purpose to your life! Unlike George Baily, you may never discover what that purpose is, but there is a reason for your existence. It's no accident that you're alive. Nothing is arbritrary.
and . . .
The world is a much better place with you in it!
This world just wouldn't be the same without you here. Without you, this world would be a little darker, a little colder. You touch so many peoples lives in so many positive ways that you don't even know about, just by doing whatever it is that you do.

That's something that everyone needs to hear that now and then.

"Strange, isn't it? One man's life touches so many other lives.
When he isn't around, he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"

--Clarence