<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Friday, February 25, 2005

Thank God I'm A City Boy

Country folks get alot of bad press.
They're thought of as hicks, bumpkins, yokels, people without education who walk around barefoot and have thick twangy accents and live in trailers or cabins with a pickup truck on cinderblocks in the front yard.
People like Jeff Foxworthy and his Blue Collar TV don't help matters much.
And I think it's a shame that people are portrayed that way, but that's not the point of this post.

I've enjoyed several trips to the country.
Loved them, as a matter of fact.
Down home southern cookin', swimmin' in the ol' waterin' hole, seeing farmers tending their crops and taking pride in working their land, looking up at the night sky and actually seeing stars.
I didn't even know there were that many stars in the sky! It was beautiful.
You don't see stars in the city. Well, maybe one or two here and there, but not, like, a gazillion like when I was in the country.
And the peace and quiet was nice. You can hear crickets chirp out there. I don't think I've heard a cricket since then.
And the people you meet are warm and friendly. Totally wasn't used to that.

But if I had to live there, I think I'd go crazy.
Stark raving mad, someone get a straight-jacket and call the white coats 'cause Jimmy's pulling his hair out and cutting himself with knives.

I was born in the city. It's what I'm used to.
I need noise. I need activity. I need to know that if I'm hungry at 3:30 AM and there's no food in the refrigerator that I can walk two blocks to the "open 24/7" store and get a frozen burrito and a Mello Yello.
I like the fact that I don't know my neighbors. I see them come and go, but I don't know any of their names or anything about them, and they don't know anything about me. In a small town, if Flossie Murgatroyd has a baby out of wedlock, everyone knows about it and she's probably talked about viciously. ("Did you hear about Flossie? She done had a baby, and she's not married, either! Shameless hussy! I knew she was a loose woman by the short skirts she wore!")
If Flossie lived in a big city highrise, nobody would even know who she was, much less care anything about her. Anonymity can be good.
I like the fact that I don't need a car. The subway, metro, light rail train, taxis and buses take me everywhere I need to go.
I like the fact that there are several gay bars, clubs and discos to choose from.

There are drawbacks to anything.
I love this city. There are few places in this city I haven't visited. I've even been to some of the parts where white people go in, but they don't come out again. (Sounds like a Roach Motel, but you know what I mean.)
Sure, there are drawbacks to city life: crime, squalor, bums panhandling, drugs, muggings, vermin (the insect, animal and human kind), noise (sirens, traffic, construction), litter and that feeling of being "alone in a crowd".
But you know what? It's a part of me. I wouldn't be anywhere else.

Of course, if country boys are as horny as he says, I might be inclined to change my mind.