My Best Friend
They say dogs are man's best friend, but I never believed it until recently.
See, I've always thought of myself as a "cat person". Not like that (awful) Nastassia Kinski movie, it's just I'd always identified with cats more.
They're aloof, independant, self-sufficient. They're clever with their paws and they're excellent at stalking their prey.
Plus, since the day I was born until the day I left home there was always at least one cat in the house.
I didn't know much about dogs. None of my relatives or friends had dogs. All I knew about dogs were from movies, TV, and Alpo commercials. Therefore, I thought of dogs as loyal but relatively stupid; cuddly and cute but too servile, too dependant. After all, you don't have to take the cat out for a walk. (You do have to change the litter box, though!)
Then G. brought Rico home, and I fell in love.
That dog is such a part of me now, it's almost crazy.
- How do I love my dawg? Let me count the ways:
- He's ready with a kiss the second I walk through the door. (Puppy kisses are the sweetest kisses of all. Licking me on my mouth is where I draw the line, however. bleh!)
- Having someone so excited and happy that you've come back home (even if you've only been gone a half an hour) gives you a warm happy feeling.
- Rico can sense when I'm having a bad day and he's always there for moral support.
- He may be little, but he barks like a big dog. Any burglars would think there's a Pit Bull guarding the place.
- He listens intently to everything I say. He might not understand me, but he listens anyway.
- I never have to wonder where he is, because he's always by my side.
- Semper Fidelus. ("Always Faithful")
But I love him anyway.