<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Long May It Wave

I much prefer the term "Independence Day" over "the Fourth of July", even though that's what most people call it.
Ask someone what they're doing on Independence Day and they are likely to reply, "When's that?" Then, of course, you answer, "July fourth" and then they counter with, "Oh! Well why didn't you say so in the first place?!"

The whole historical signifigance of the holiday (1776, the Declaration of Independece) is totally lost on most people. It's a day for barbeques and fireworks and (possibly) waving the flag around.

*sigh*

I've been on this particular soapbox before and the air is pretty thin up here, so instead of beating a dead horse, let me step down and tell you about my Independence Day.

I was supposed to call my girl Nancy and see what she and her boyfirend Steve were doing, but I totally blew them off. I wanted to spend some quality, one-on-one time with my man. Is that so wrong? Well, no, but the way I went about it kinda is. Now the next time I talk to her (and I'm surprised she hasn't called me yet) I either have to be disingenuous ("I thought you were going to call me!") or contrite ("I am soooooo sorry!").
Don't know exactly what route I'm going to take yet. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

We drove up to the spot where the we could see the fireworks, laid out a blanket, had some cocktails (hidden in regular soda bottles because you can't be obviously drinking in public places, at least in Maryland) and sat there together and ooohed and aaahed at all the purdy lights in the sky.

I forgot to mention this was in the parking lot of the Burger King off Fleet Street.
No shit.
Instead of schlepping all the way to the Inner Harbor, paying premium prices to park (or driving around endlessly looking for a spot), rubbing elbows with all the throngs of people, dealing with the madding crowd and the mass exodus that was sure to occur right after the grand finale, we got a great view of the display, and no hassles with parking or dealing with a bunch of people.
I know where it's at, yo!

Afterwards we went out for some cocktails. Phinn's was closed, Port in a Storm was closed. WTF? What do I have to do to get a drink in this stinkin' city?
We finally went to the Phoenix where we ran into the always fabulous D'Marge, and bartender Rik made us cocktails that were way too strong.
After a few drinks, we went home and made our own fireworks happen.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I hope you had a good Independence Day, too!