<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Hot Stuff!

With the "heat index" making it feel 110 in the shade, to say it's been hot is an understatement. Perhaps the word "inferno" would more accurately describe it.
If this is a taste of what Hell is like, I'd better try very hard to be good in the future.

My Saturday Night was spent at the Stone Soul Picnic. I had to stand there and give out $2 off cupons for the restaurant. I couldn't give them out fast enough. People are so greedy!
Anyway, I got to see performances by Mary J. Blige, Sunshine Anderson, Li'l Mo and Toni Braxton. Mary J. was my favorite. When she sang "I'm Going Down" I forgot all about handing out coupons and grooved along with everyone else.
It was hot, but I got to take frequent breaks, I got a special STAFF t-shirt (which will be a part of my "lounging around the house" wardrobe) -- and I got paid.
How cool is that?

The AC unit at the restaurant shut down completely at the restaurant yesterday. With all of the ovens. grills, steamers, broilers, hotplates and fryers going full blast (not to mention the dish machine pumping out a godawful amount of heat and steam) it was hotter inside the restaurant than it was outside.
It was so hot that about a dozen guests that were waiting to be seated just walked out.
All the church ladies in their floral print dresses and big hats were fanning themselves and complaining.
It was horrible.

I was soaking wet by the time I left. I had to literally peel my drenched sticky wifebeater and underwear off when I got home.
Gross, I know.

Luckily this happened an hour and a half before I (and the rest of the morning shift) was scheduled to leave. Imagine a dozen cheering servers racing for the exit door while a dozen other servers enter a restaurant-sized oven full of evil angry sweaty people -- and it was only going to get hotter.
Sucked to be them, but what did I care -- I was free!

Spealing of hot things . . . (nice segue, eh?) I saw Fantastic Four recently. The movie was all right, but not quite as fabulous as I expected. That's probably more because I was expecting so much, and whenever you do that you are always disappointed. My advice: wait for the DVD to come out and rent it from Netflix or Blockbuster.
The highlight of the movie was Chris Evans as Johnny Storm (AKA The Human Torch).
Woof!
It was worth the price of the ticket just to watch him burn all his clothes off and run around nekkid -- even if it only lasted a couple of seconds.

It's a little cooler today, but I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to lounge around in the AC, read the book I've been trying to get through for the past week, and chill.
Literally.