<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d3440559\x26blogName\x3dWonder+Boy\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://wonderboyblog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-9208151565435014371', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Life is only what you wonder.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It's All About The Follow Through

Sorry I haven't posted anything substantial in a little while. What with working and other things going on, I haven't had much time.
It's quality, rather than quantity that counts the most, right?

This morning I had to go to court about the whole mugging thing that I went through not too long ago. It was the preliminary hearing to see if it should go to trial at Circuit Court.

Technically, my presence wasn't strictly neccessary because the officer that made the arrest was there to testify. But just in case something untoward would have happened and the officer couldn't make it, my presence would have been very neccessary.

I must admit, when they brought the guy who mugged me out in shackles, it totally creeped me out. Just seeing him brought it all back.
I would rather have not gone back there, but some things you just have to face whether you want to or not.

The Assistant States Attorney went over everything that happened with me again, even though I had told her (over the phone) everything that happened.
"The Defense wants a reduction of the charges," she told me, "But after reading the report, and now talking to you, I've decided that they're not going to get it."

I was asked to step outside the courtroom when the officer gave his testimony (apparently so it wouldn't influence my own), so I missed that part of it, and it turns out that my original police report was enough, so I wasn't needed after all.

The final result is that all the charges (first degree assult and battery, theft) all stand and the matter will be going to Circuit Court.

"Will you be willing to testify if we need you?" she asked me afterwards.
"Oh, yeah." I replied.
After what he did to me, I want him sent up the river.

I'm going to step up on my soapbox (again) for just a moment. Bear with me, please.

  • If you are a victim of a crime (theft, rape, assault, what have you) you need to report it. It's the only way we can get the bad elements off the streets and in the prisons where they belong.
  • If your a witness to a crime, you need to step forward and tell what you witnessed so justice can be served.
  • And last (but definitely not least) you need to follow through. Go to court, testify. Move Heaven and Earth to be there.

    Before that case went before the judge I saw three cases dismissed (It's called a "Null Pros" in legal jargon) simply because for one reason or other the police officer couldn't make it and the victims were not there.
    These people just got to walk away scott free.
    Were they guilty? Who knows? We will never know because they're roaming the sreets even as I type this.

    Anyway, it's not over with, a few months from now and I'll be back to follow through yet again.

    And if that wasn't enough, guess what I recieved in my mailbox the other day?
    An official summons to report for Jury Duty on the 20th.
    It's neverending.

  •